Friday, February 11, 2011

Kiln Christmas!

My mugs have turned out pretty nice so far.  The handles have actually made it through the first fire unscathed!  I was quite worried, because most of the handles I made for the mugs are pretty delicate.   I did a few pulled-handled mugs but decided to give the rest of the handles a “twist” of sorts.  I don’t mind pulling handles for the mugs, but I really wanted to try putting a hand building attribute on them.  I really love experimenting with my clay work; whether it be through building techniques, glazing or even firing-it is all exciting!
I also got to help unload my first cone 10 kiln this week!  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning with the uncontainable excitement and nervousness of how all the pieces turned out.  I loved being able to see how different glaze techniques looked compared to common glazing techniques.  My thirteen cylinders came out pretty nicely except for one.  I now know that Hannah’s Fake Ash is a major runner, no matter how quick and light you dip it!  Lesson learned. 
I have started throwing bowls and I am loving it!  However, I am not sure that I will be able to stop at eight!  I am really looking forward to more experimentation with these!
Unfortunately, I am having some technical difficulties in uploading my pictures to the blog tonight.  I plan to be able to upload them tomorrow morning from a different computer-I hope it works this time!  Wish me luck!  PICTURES TO COME J

They are here!  ENJOY! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment