Sunday, February 26, 2012

CHOO CHOO!!!

This week has been fairly productive in the life of this ceramic artist J  Kiln building, slip making and show piece creating are just a few of the endeavors I took on this week. 

The train kiln is coming along nicely.  We got to build the chamber walls up more and we even got to build the arch!  Now I can really see why it is called a “train kiln.”  I can only hope that maybe we will be able to use both class days next week for working on the kiln.  I am so anxious to get it finished and ready for its inaugural firing!  I do wonder how we will be able to get enough of the wood required for its firing?  No worries, we will make it work-like we always do J

Also in preparation for the kiln’s inaugural firing, I was given the privilege of making two flashing slips for the amazing pieces that will go in.  Contrary to other beliefs-hand sieving is not that bad and actually quiet relaxing and therapeutic!  I made 3000g of an EPK flashing slip and 3000g of a Sagger flashing slip, and hand sieved it all J  I will be doing some application experiments this coming week to see how well the slips due on different wares and thickness applications. Can’t wait!

Due to some technical issues with the electric kiln at school-I will be retesting my cone 6 glaze experiment in my home kiln or possibly a different school kiln.  Hopefully, retesting will give me some understanding as to what went wrong in the first firing.

I have also continued in my show building endeavor and currently have two pieces underwayJ  I have also been researching for additional materials for my show pieces so that I will have them handy when the pieces are ready for those materials. (mysterious, eh?)

Here is just a little of the photographic evidence of this week-ENJOY!!





No comments:

Post a Comment