Monday, March 31, 2014

The 'Break' is Over


Well, my Spring Break is over and I will be honest-I wish it could have been much longer!  However, on the good news front-only 42 days left before I take the “walk” of accomplishment!! YAY! Does anyone have a universal remote that can help me fast forward through 40 days?

Before the break the final fusion test results came out of the cone 10 reduction fire.  Also, my line blend tests between Kyanite and Soda Ash came out of the same firing.  I find it very intriguing how the dry material can react so differently than the liquid form of the material.  For example, in the fusion test, Kyanite kept its powder-like, white form-whereas in my line blend, Kyanite suspended in water reacted by coating like a glaze with a deep mahogany color.  The same type of radical results were found with my raw material Soda Ash.  In the fusion test, the powder form turned to what seems to be a corrosive liquid state that spread uncontrollably and turned to a dark glossy color that almost took over the full test tile.  However, in my line blend, which the material was suspended in water, the Soda Ash seemed to have little to no reaction and on some of the tiles, it seemed to have disappeared altogether.  We are unsure as to why these materials performed so radically different through the same firing process.  My intentions are to do a few more replications of the testing to see how the results compare.

On a personal note, I was finally able to reclaim my studio over the break and can now get back to the business of creating more art! PLUS, now that the weather is getting warmer-I can really enjoy my time in the (uninsulated) studio! YAY!
Fusion Final I

Fusion Final II

Fusion Final III

Fusion Final IV

Line Blend: Kyanite & Soda Ash (100A-100B) Kyanite is dark metallic sheen & Soda Ash is gray powder (large berries). Rest are mixtures of Kyanite & Soda Ash at 80/20, 60/40 and reverse mixtures.

Soda Ash Fusion Test

Kyanite Fusion Test
 

No comments:

Post a Comment