Monday, October 1, 2012

Picking Up Progress


This past week has been a little more productive in the KG Creativity studio J Things seem to be settling down in the campus ceramics area-as of last check, both mixers are functional again!  Can’t same the same about some of the kilns, but that is neither here nor there.  Mainly because I am fortunate enough to have my own kiln and I am not quite ready to begin the firing processes of my pieces.

There is a remote possibility, that due to the month long delays I have encountered, I may have to lower the number of pieces in my show from 10 to 8.  I am going to work as hard as I possibly can to prevent this from happening.  So, wish me luck on that!  The delays I speak of are as follows, but are not limited to: campus ceramics facility shutdown, clay mixer failure, missing clay body ingredients, studio moisture content, clay room scheduling and some personal life delays.

It is no easy task being an artist! With the use of community facilities an artist must concede to delays that are out of their control.  No worries, though! I WILL prevail!  On a personal note: I will be quite happy once I can get my home studio complete (I only lack the clay mixer).  Once my studio is complete, I will no longer have to worry too much on whether or not the required equipment is in working order and whether or not my tasks would be impeding on another’s schedule. J

Anyhow, I am scheduling to make more of my own recipe clay body within the next two weeks.  The initial 360 pounds I made a few weeks ago is quickly running out. I designed this new clay body specifically for the purposes of this project and I am anxious to see the results after the firing processes begin!  Additionally, to aid in the goal of being able to keep my goal of 10 pieces, I have begun working on two pieces at a time. 

I am currently working on the prostate piece and the autism piece.  The photos of the autism piece are included in this post. The photos show the initial build stages and the beginning of the carving-out stage.  Which, I might add, that this is the first time I have made a sculptural piece using the carve-out method.  I must say-it is a very heavy method!! I typically use the coil-building method (see previous post’s photos). Nevertheless, I am very excited to try new methods-Art is always an experiment of sorts!

Speaking of experiment-see the experimental slab mold of my face in the photos below!!

 As for the prostate piece, I actually scrapped and restarted that piece because it was becoming too large and I had an overwhelming feeling that the piece was not shaping in the way I am striving for.  Both pieces are currently going through what I call a “set” stage.  This is where the clay is stiffening to help reinforce strength and allow for more working of the surface and structure.





 
Well, back to playing in the studio…

No comments:

Post a Comment