Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fusion & Line


This week we got the first fusion test results out of the bisque. Very interesting how some materials react even at what is considered a lower firing temperature. Just take a look at what Vanadium, Soda Ash, Lithium Carb and Potassium Dichromate did at bisque!  In fact the Potassium Dichromate melted through the test tile and into the tile underneath. Good grief-kind of remind me of Thermite.  However, most of the materials remained in a powder form-this means their melting temperatures are higher. Although, I have been told that these materials, the ones that remain in powder form, can have their melting temps reduced by mixing with other materials.  Way to go chemical reactions. I may further test different types of fusion tests of my own curiosity in the future.

As for line blends, I decided to test Kyanite and Soda Ash.  Interesting choice, I know, but I do have a penchant to push the boundries ;)

My Line Blend test parameters look like this:

100% Kyanite / 0% Soda Ash

80% Kyanite/ 20% Soda Ash

60% Kyanite/ 40% Soda Ash

40% Kyanite/ 60% Soda Ash

20% Kyanite/ 80% Soda Ash

0% Kyanite/ 100% Soda Ash

Blend Dips:

2 sets of Blueberry Bisque

1 set Blackberry Bisque

1 set of Cone 6 washed patties

(yes, the test tiles are unique, but you work with what you have and I wasn’t able to get the proper test tiles completed before these tests began) However, I will be running another test run once I get the proper test tiles ready.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment